Functions and Competencies
Functions and competencies of CBS
CBS is the competent authority in charge of statistics and the sole official custodian of statistical data and information which is also in charge of implementing, supervising and regulating statistical activities. To achieve its objectives, CBS carries out the following functions:
• Develop a national strategy for statistical activities in the State in coordination with the other relevant public authorities, follow up its implementation after its approval and propose actions for its periodic updating.
• Carry out statistical activities according to the internationally acceptable criteria including the following:
- determine the methodology for statistical work;
- design and implement surveys and censuses;
- conduct studies and reseach;
- analysis of data and information;
- publication of data;
- documentation of data and information and back-up of statistical documents;
- collection from different sources data and information covering all aspects of life in Sudan as well as data collection from administrative records and public authorities and private firms and disaggregatoin and analysis of such data and developing indexes thereof;
- development of statistical manuals and classifications according to international criteria, using, updating and enhancing such data as necessary;
- prepare statistical bulletins and reports for surveys and research and other purposes;
- development of a comprehensive system for statistical databases covering different fields;
- establishment of a central information system at CBS than link all the public authorities and the national level;
- provide statistical, consultative and technical services to both the public and private sectors.
- CBS mission is not limited to the provision of data at the local level only, but its activities are intended to promote and contribute to the statistical work at the regional and international levels through feeding databases at these two levels.